The primary focus of the Office of the Commissioner of Railroads is to ensure safety in the State of Wisconsin. Our main responsibility is to make determinations of the adequacy of warning devices at public railroad crossings along with other railroad related regulations.
Railroad traffic is booming in Wisconsin with higher speeds, increased frequency, and activation of additional rail lines. With this comes a greater need to spread the message about SAFETY. We do this by communicating with railroad companies, local governments, law enforcement and emergency management agencies, businesses, and citizens.
Our goal is to make railroad operation in Wisconsin as safe as possible. We encourage you to visit our website and contact us for any questions and concerns.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve as your railroad commissioner.
Yash P. Wadhwa, P.E.
The Office of the
Commissioner of Railroads is the state agency with primary
responsibility for making determinations of the adequacy of warning
devices at railroad crossings, along with other railroad and water carrier related
regulations. These duties include:
- Installation of new highway/rail crossings
- Alteration of existing crossings
- Closing or consolidating existing crossings
- Repair of rough crossings
- Determining adequate railroad fences
- Exemptions from railroad track clearance laws
- Assist with rail safety initiatives and participate in community outreach